copy book

This is a Mainframe COBOL forum - you can post your queries on Mainframe COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL/370 , Enterprise COBOL

Moderators: dbzTHEdinosauer, Moderator Group

sash

copy book

Post by sash » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:48 pm

hello
how do u expand a copy book?....i have a copy book of 750 byte format..i want to expand it to 2550 byte please members let me know what are all de neccesary steps to be taken as well as what will de extra bytes contain if der is no info....

Natarajan

Post by Natarajan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:58 pm

As per my understanding of your requirement - You want to expand the copy book from size 750 to 2550 bytes.

Add FILLLER PIC X(1800) at the end of the 750 byte copy book.

if above is not the answer that you are expecting. Help me understand your problem clearly by providing more details.
Natarajan
Chennai

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:01 am

Hi,

First question which comes to mind is- how much experience do you have in COBOL?

This sentence
i have a copy book of 750 byte format..i want to expand it to 2550 byte
does not qualify to technical standards, those extra bytes will be used for what is to be decided first otherwise what has been told by Natarajan is the best answer.
Regards,
Anuj

sash

Post by sash » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:55 am

mr. anuj,
does dis forum require any "technical standard" to clear doubts even??? i have just learnt cobol a month before and am a fresher just starting my job!!! and let me tell u anuj i have joined dis forum thinking it'l help me to learn more and have never thought of any technical standard!!!!! if needed pls remove me from dis community!!!

sash

Post by sash » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:27 pm

thank u natarajan!!!!

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi Sash,

Please calm down - those queris just help us to give you a rather close answer..nothing is there which should be taken on heart..

When one say
how do u expand a copy book
raises two possibilities:

1. One want to "expend" these in a COBOL program itself, so that one can check the variables - or any other reason.

2. You want to increase the size of copy book, as you asked but that's not the way this term is used across shops - usually they say "one want to modify the COPYBOOK" where size of copybook needs to be increased.
Regards,
Anuj

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others