IMS Pure 'ROLB'(rollback) function in IMS DB Environment

IMS DB database, DL/I commands etc

Moderator: Moderator Group

purushothaman

IMS Pure 'ROLB'(rollback) function in IMS DB Environment

Post by purushothaman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi,
I'm a Beginner in IMSDB. Can anyone tell me. How to perform a Pure ROLLBACK function without using a (CHKP) Checkpoint/Commit using IMS Call.

Actually my Program accessing on both IMSDB & DB2 Tablebases. Could anyone please suggest me how to use a IMS ROLLBACK in IMS Environment. And more thing is i have already tried the same using DB2 ROLLBACK, But it doesn't work.!. So, i moved to IMS Functions.

I don't want to perform a partial update.Hence,i need to issue a Pure ROLLBACK.I've tried to issuing the ROLLBACK using 'ROLB' log.

I have already referred this below.

CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING NUM-OPS,
'CHKP',
IO-PCB,
CHKP-LENGTH,
CHKP-AREA.

You can also code the IMS rollback command as follows:

CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING NUM-OPS,
'ROLB',
IO-PCB,
CHKP-LENGTH,
CHKP-AREA.

Here i mentioning pure ROLLBACK. What i mean is a 'ROLB' without any COMMIT/CKP.

Before that i need to know. Is it possible to issue a 'ROLB' alone in ims call without COMMIT/CKP. :idea:

:arrow: Scenario: (I have TABLE(IMSDB) containing 10 records. i'm updating 10 records to the TABLE(DB2). If 9th record cause mismatch/invalid data on the updating TABLE(DB2). i need to perform a rollback for entire record. Then,again the update start from 1st record onwards.inbetween no more checkpoint(s) in that table.)

Could anyone Please do help me how to issue the 'ROLB' without issuing any ROLS/STOP combination. :?:

Regards,
Purushoth.

NicC

Post by NicC » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:34 pm

As mentioned in the thread that is still in progress on another forum (so you should not be posting here) there is no such term as "pure" rollback. A rollback is a rollback. It rolls back to the last checkpoint or start of program if no checkpoints are taken.

As your task appears not to be updating IMS there is nothing to roll back on IMS. You may, or may not, need to roll back your DB2 updates but that depends on what sort of updating is taking place and what sort of restart processing is in place - for 10 records then there would be no need to have a restart process - just roll back your DB2 updates, fix the error and rerun the program.

Now - do you want this topic locked or the one on the other forum?
Regards
Nic

purushothaman

Post by purushothaman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:51 pm

NicC wrote:As mentioned in the thread that is still in progress on another forum (so you should not be posting here) there is no such term as "pure" rollback. A rollback is a rollback. It rolls back to the last checkpoint or start of program if no checkpoints are taken.

As your task appears not to be updating IMS there is nothing to roll back on IMS. You may, or may not, need to roll back your DB2 updates but that depends on what sort of updating is taking place and what sort of restart processing is in place - for 10 records then there would be no need to have a restart process - just roll back your DB2 updates, fix the error and rerun the program.

Now - do you want this topic locked or the one on the other forum?
Hi Nic,

Sorry for posting the same topics, I thought it would get different ideas/replies from forums.

Regards,
Purushoth.

Regards,
Purushoth.

DikDude

Post by DikDude » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:36 am

Typically not so much.

Many of us support multiple forums.
Have a good one

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others