File-Aid Help Needed

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on FILE-AID tool

Moderators: Anuj Dhawan, Moderator Group

shiva_540

File-Aid Help Needed

Post by shiva_540 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi,

I would like to know the specific command used in file-aid for field number to be displayed when a file is opend in browse mode or edit mode. As i observed that its showing the level names beside the field variable....

Please can any one help me out in this issue......

Natarajan

Post by Natarajan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:32 pm

try command SHOW LEVEL
Natarajan
Chennai

Dave E

Post by Dave E » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you want to display a sequential number (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc...) against each field in the record layout, instead of the COBOL level number (e.g. 05. 10. 15, etc...). You can do this by typing the command SHOW NUM (or S NUM for short).

Why would you want to do this? Well, sometimes the field names are very long and we cannot always fit these into the command line at the top of the screen. You can refer to thes fields using the number. Here is an example. Let's suppose your record layout contains 100 fields. However, you only want to view fields 1, 2, 3, 16, 35 and 96 ... you would have to keep scrolling backwards and forwards to see these fields. If you type DISPLAY 1-3 16 35 96 ONLY on the command line and press <enter> then this will display only these fields. Obviously, you must have done SHOW NUM first.

Have a play with this. It is really powerful and very very useful when you have many fields in your record layout.

Good luck.
Dave E
Software Engineer

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others