pls give me the answers for the following interview quesions

other mainframe interview questions

Moderators: Anuj Dhawan, Moderator Group

abcdef1234

pls give me the answers for the following interview quesions

Post by abcdef1234 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Hi can u pls give answers for the follwing questions...

1) My JOB contain 5 steps & I want to bypass first 2 steps. How U can do?

2) Already I created one new GDG version in step 3 & I need use same GDG in to step 8. Which version number U can use & what is the DISP parameters?

3) Through SYSIN DD * I'm going to passing some values to the program. That value we are declared in to COM-3 field & that program going to ACCEPT that COMP-3 value. During arithmetic operation B=A+1 (A value is COMP-3). What is the result for this query?

4) I've one INSTREM Proc in step 3 & In step 7 I'm going to call that Proc, its possible to call or not?

5) What is Concatenation dataset? I've 3 concatenation datasets & I want to overwrite 2nd dataset? How U can do & what is the syntax?

6) How many types to sort? In JCL I want to sort one file & how U can write the sort syntax?

7) I'm sorting one file, that file I'm not given any ASC or DESC order. Which one is default value its going to taking? Tell me.

8 ) Sort file I'm given Input & Output are same PDS. During input I was given DISP=(New, ,) & same file I'm give to output DIPS=SHR. Pls tell me this JCL going to successfully running or its going to abend?

9) What is SOC abends? How U are going to solve?

10) When u are get SOC4 & SOC7 abend? How to solve this errors?

11) During run time my load module was not found. What type of error u are getting? How u are going to solve?

12) During run time I'm not defined the load module to the JCL. What type of error U are getting?

DavidatK

Post by DavidatK » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:43 am

abcdef1234,

same comments as your COBOL II Questions.

Link to z/OS V1R6.0 MVS JCL Reference

David

giri

Post by giri » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:39 pm

I've one INSTREM Proc in step 3 & In step 7 I'm going to call that Proc, its possible to call or not?

ys u can call by specifying proc name

giri

Post by giri » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm sorting one file, that file I'm not given any ASC or DESC order. Which one is default value its going to taking? Tell me.

its by default ascending

giri

Post by giri » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:49 pm

Sort file I'm given Input & Output are same PDS. During input I was given DISP=(New, ,) & same file I'm give to output DIPS=SHR. Pls tell me this JCL going to successfully running or its going to abend?

a) no, u cant use because at first when u r opening the PDS it will be in read lock and u cant open it for write with out closing it.

varun

Post by varun » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:30 am

Let me try some of these:

On the jobcard, specify an additional parm RESTART=<step name of 3rd step>

2) Already I created one new GDG version in step 3 & I need use same GDG in to step 8. Which version number U can use & what is the DISP parameters?

Not sure, but I guess BASE(0) with DISP=SHR, OLD or MOD depending upon the program.

4) I've one INSTREM Proc in step 3 & In step 7 I'm going to call that Proc, its possible to call or not?

Yes

5) What is Concatenation dataset? I've 3 concatenation datasets & I want to overwrite 2nd dataset? How U can do & what is the syntax?

Concatenation of datasets is like assigning a single DDNAME to a list of datasets like :

//INDD DD DISP=SHR,DSN=input.data1
// DD DISP=SHR,DSN=input.data2
// DD DISP=SHR,DSN=input.data3

I did not completely understand the override part. From my understanding, you will need to code :

//STEPNAME.INDD DD DISP=SHR,DSN=input.data1
// DD DISP=SHR,DSN=newinput.data2
// DD DISP=SHR,DSN=input.data3

8 ) Sort file I'm given Input & Output are same PDS. During input I was given DISP=(New, ,) & same file I'm give to output DIPS=SHR. Pls tell me this JCL going to successfully running or its going to abend?

I dont think so. Input dataset should exist already. Can't be DISP=NEW

11) During run time my load module was not found. What type of error u are getting? How u are going to solve?

for module not found, the abend code is 806. To correct :

1) We can add a STEPLIB
2) We can add a JOBLIB
3) Copy the module to system linklist

12) During run time I'm not defined the load module to the JCL. What type of error U are getting?

Looks like the same question as the one above to me.

HTH,
Varun

chintu

SOC4

Post by chintu » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi
We get a SOC4 error when
(1)Index exceeds the size of the table.
(2)When we use the file-section variables with out opening the file.

we get a SOC7 error when
(1)Moving the non-numeric value to a numeric value.
(2)Not initializing the numeric variables before the first use.

chintu

Sort

Post by chintu » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi,
We have SORT, DFSORT, SYNCSORT.
All the sorts more or less do the same work.
DFSORT is IBMS tool
SYNCSORT is competing it.
The syntax of SORT is
Normally we give the input and the output files in the ddnames
SORTIN and SORTOUT.
and we also give the work files with some space allocated to them
and a SYSIN DD * statement to give the SORT fields.

tvsraj

Post by tvsraj » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Q) What is Concatenation dataset? I've 3 concatenation datasets & I want to overwrite 2nd dataset? How U can do & what is the syntax?

A) If u need to override the 2nd dataset in the concatenation datasets. You need to observe the below example.

eg:
The Concatenated Datasets are in the proc PROCA as follows

//Step1 Exec PGM=ABC
//DD1 DD DSN=DOUBT.ABC.DSN1
// DD DSN=DOUBT.ABC.DSN2
// DD DSN=DOUBT.ABC.DSN3

If you need to use the PRoc PROCA in the JCL by using the DSN4 instead of DSN2 file..follow the below manner.

//PROC1 EXEC PROCA
//Step1.DD1 DD
// DD DSN=DOUBT.ABC.DSN4
// DD

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi tvsraj,

The answer to the question is correct -- just for the note, you answered an year old post. Usually, I enjoy the Forum by putting up your answers in rather new threads... :)

have a nice stay here...
Regards,
Anuj

phanindra

Post by phanindra » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:06 am

Hi,

SOC7 may comes when u are trying to perform some arithmetic operations on alphanumeric data...........its upto my knowledge............

helianthusdd

Re: pls give me the answers for the following interview ques

Post by helianthusdd » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:25 pm

abcdef1234 wrote:Hi can u pls give answers for the follwing questions...

3) Through SYSIN DD * I'm going to passing some values to the program. That value we are declared in to COM-3 field & that program going to ACCEPT that COMP-3 value. During arithmetic operation B=A+1 (A value is COMP-3). What is the result for this query?

6) How many types to sort? In JCL I want to sort one file & how U can write the sort syntax?

7) I'm sorting one file, that file I'm not given any ASC or DESC order. Which one is default value its going to taking? Tell me.

9) What is SOC abends? How U are going to solve?

10) When u are get SOC4 & SOC7 abend? How to solve this errors?

I guess you use Google to have answers or suggestions. :)

DikDude

Post by DikDude » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 pm

I guess you use Google to have answers or suggestions.
Did you actually try to do this? Keep in mind that when searching you are not allowed to use what you already know . . . It is easy to search for things when one already knows the answer.

Also, it is better to reply to currently active topics rather than a quote that was posted 4 years ago.
Have a good one

helianthusdd

Post by helianthusdd » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:53 pm

DikDude wrote:
I guess you use Google to have answers or suggestions.
Did you actually try to do this? Keep in mind that when searching you are not allowed to use what you already know . . . It is easy to search for things when one already knows the answer.

Also, it is better to reply to currently active topics rather than a quote that was posted 4 years ago.
I found the result matching. You can refer suggestions list here http://typicalinterviewquestions.info. I hope this helps you.
Best rgs

seleniumtraining

Post by seleniumtraining » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:24 am

Hii all...Thanks for sharing this interview questions and answers..This is really useful for me. Software Testing Training in Chennai[/url]
Last edited by seleniumtraining on Wed May 18, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others