Taking Backup of a Partitioned Dataset using ICEGENER

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on DFSORT, ICETOOL , SyncSort & JCL Utilities

Moderators: Frank Yaeger, Moderator Group

Priyadarshan

Taking Backup of a Partitioned Dataset using ICEGENER

Post by Priyadarshan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Hi All,

I have a question. I need to take backup of all members present in a Partitioned Dataset ( PDS1) into another Partitioned Dataset (PDS2). This PDS2 has to be a new dataset everytime the job is run.

I tried doing this operation using IEBCOPY and was successful in doing so. But I need to do this using ICEGENER.

I searched for some documentation on ICEGENER but failed to lay my hands on something concrete. :(

Can this be done using ICEGENER and can someone help me with as to how i go ahead with this ?

Priyadarshan.

arrbee

Post by arrbee » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:15 pm

When you are acheiving the objective by using an utility why do you want to use another utility? Are you finding different ways of doing it? I think ICEGENER is advanced version of IEBGENER.
Arr Bee
-------------
?My joy in learning is partly that it enables me to teach? - Seneca(Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

Priyadarshan

Post by Priyadarshan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:21 pm

It's true that i was able to do it using IEBCOPY but as per our standards we have to do it using ICEGENER. And we have to follow standards.
So I need to do it using ICEGENER. Hope this answers your question.

Priyadarshan.

Frank Yaeger

Post by Frank Yaeger » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:09 pm

ICEGENER is DFSORT's replacement for IEBGENER. ICEGENER uses DFSORT's Copy function to copy a data set or a member of a pds. ICEGENER does NOT handle multiple pds members in one invocation.

For complete information on DFSORT's ICEGENER, see:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ ... 0222160456

The only way you could do what you want with ICEGENER would be to use one invocation of ICEGENER for each member in the pds - SYSUT1 points to oldpds(member) and SYSUT2 points to newpds(member) for each member. So ICEGENER is probably NOT the right tool for this task.

If IEBGENER can do what you want with control statements, then you could use ICEGENER and the control statements will cause ICEGENER to automatically use IEBGENER. So maybe what you're really asking is whether IEBGENER can do what you want. If it can, then you can "pretend" ICEGENER is doing it even though IEBGENER is really doing it.
Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yaeger@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort

arrbee

Post by arrbee » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:00 am

That is good info frank.
Arr Bee
-------------
?My joy in learning is partly that it enables me to teach? - Seneca(Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others