Connect Direct to copy data from mainframe to desktop.

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on DFSORT, ICETOOL , SyncSort & JCL Utilities

Moderators: Frank Yaeger, Moderator Group

sandeepmudgal2k

Connect Direct to copy data from mainframe to desktop.

Post by sandeepmudgal2k » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:55 am

HI,

I have to use connect direct to transfer files from mainframe to my Desktop in .TXT format.
Is it possible with Connect Direct? i did google on it and i found only server to server file transfer using Connect Direct.

Any help will be great help.

MrSpock

Post by MrSpock » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:08 pm

If you have Connect:Direct installed and running on your desktop, then yes, it is possible.

MrSpock

Post by MrSpock » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:23 pm

I'll just cut to the chase so hopefully we can move on beyond this topic:

1. Can you transfer a file to a desktop with FTP? Yes, if you have the proper RACF access authority for FTP and your firewalls and network allow the connectivity. The transfer can be originated on the workstation (workstation is the client, mainframe is the server). If you want to initiate the transfer from the mainframe (mainframe is the client, workstation is the server) then the server needs an FTP service to be running on it. This usually requires that the desktop machine be running as a server, not as a workstation.

2. Can you transfer a file with the built-in file transfer in your 3270-emulation software? Yes, providing that the IND$FILE command is enabled on your mainframe.

3. Can you transfer a file with the ISPF File Transfer service? Yes, again as long as you have the proper network connectivity, and that your desktop has the workstation client installed, configured, and running.

4. Can you transfer a file with Connect:Direct? Yes, as above, if you have a Connect:Direct agent running on your desktop machine.

5. Can you transfer a file with another product? Yes. There are other third-party products (XCOM from CA for example) that if you have available you might be able to use.

6. What else can you do?
- Burn a CD-ROM from the mainframe if that is supported.
- Write to a tape from the mainframe and read on the desktop, if that is supported.
- Use telecomm protocols (BSC2780/3780, Async XMODEM,YMODEM,ZMODEM, SDLC3770), if you have modems and phone lines available at both ends.
- Send the data as an email, either as content (SMTP) or as a file attachment (MIME), if this is supported at your site.
- Map a network drive to the mainframe if the necessary support software is available.
- Write your own application to transfer between the two systems using TCP/IP sockets.
- Use a store-and-forward mechanism (i.e. a mailbox or an EDI site or a corporate FTP site) that allows both machines to connect and transfer files to and from it.

sandeepmudgal2k

Post by sandeepmudgal2k » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks for quick reply. actually i want to know the values of SNODE and AIXNODE of connect direct if we transfer file from mainframe to desktop. We use connect direct for tranferring files from mainframe server to unix server dat time SNODE and AIXNODE r populated with UNIX server addresses but if windows comes in picture what will be the value for SNODE and AIXNODE.

MrSpock

Post by MrSpock » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:30 pm

You have to ask the person who manages the Connect:Direct NETMAP entries. They are defined in that resource.

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:43 pm

You are asking a site-specific stuff, which is not possible for any Forum-member to answer. Suggest you get in touch with your site-support group.

Also, when you say "PC" - does that mean you are talking about a 'server", to have the someone's PC set-up as a server is most unlikely.
Regards,
Anuj

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others