Need a help on using TRLUPD

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on DFSORT, ICETOOL , SyncSort & JCL Utilities

Moderators: Frank Yaeger, Moderator Group

geethu0212

Need a help on using TRLUPD

Post by geethu0212 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:29 am

Hello,

Can someone please help me with a solution.

Requirement: There are 8 files to merge . Each will be of same length of 500.Each file has one header, detail records and one trailer.Header will be having the report field names. Trailer will have the report name along with date and time and the total detail record count.
The merged file should have only one header and one trailer which it can take from any of the 8 files. And I have to update three things in the trailer record.
1) Date(4MD - format: 20180725)
2) Time (000000 - should be zeroes by default)
3) Count

Positions of all the above fields are fixed
I used IFTRAIL with TRLID and with TRLUPD and updated the count. But now the requirement has been changed to update the date( as run date) and time (as 000000) .

Note: I have searched few document in IBM site and found that using TRLUPD, it is only possible to update the count and total.

I am using TRLUPD because my trailer is having report name and few other details as well.

Kindly help me with any suggestions

geethu0212

Post by geethu0212 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:03 am

geethu0212 wrote:Hello,

Can someone please help me with a solution.

Requirement: There are 8 files to merge . Each will be of same length of 500.Each file has one header, detail records and one trailer.Header will be having the report field names. Trailer will have the report name along with date and time and the total detail record count.
The merged file should have only one header and one trailer which it can take from any of the 8 files. And I have to update three things in the trailer record.
1) Date(4MD - format: 20180725)
2) Time (000000 - should be zeroes by default)
3) Count

Positions of all the above fields are fixed
I used IFTRAIL with TRLID and with TRLUPD and updated the count. But now the requirement has been changed to update the date( as run date) and time (as 000000) .

Note: I have searched few document in IBM site and found that using TRLUPD, it is only possible to update the count and total.

I am using TRLUPD because my trailer is having report name and few other details as well.

Kindly help me with any suggestions
If TRLUPD is not possible is it possible to delete the existing trailer record which was created in merge and create the new trailer with the updated count and date.

Thanks in advance.

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others