Send or Receive Map or Not!

About CICS and BMS - In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on CICS

Moderators: DikDude, Natarajan, Moderator Group

Lynda850

Send or Receive Map or Not!

Post by Lynda850 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:24 pm

I am a novice at CICS programming...I am a little confused. I need to create a screen to display only data pulled from the history file. Since the key will be passed from various other screens (depending on which screen they choose to view the new History screen from), do I need a SEND and RECEIVE Map or just a Send Map? :?

William Collins

Post by William Collins » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Depends on your program spec. What does it say?

Lynda850

Post by Lynda850 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi William, thanks for responding. I was told to 1) capture when certain fields changed from other screens and write to a HISTORY file ✔️ then 2) Create a screen to display the history when wanted to view at a later time. A list of elements and those instructions are all I received.

William Collins

Post by William Collins » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:18 pm

Well, that sounds like two separate things. Firstly something to create your history, secondly something to allow the history to be viewed. At least two separate programs, and yes, you'll need to give the user functionality to do things, so sending and receiving for sure.

Lynda850

Post by Lynda850 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:29 pm

I have already modified various other programs to capture the changed data. What I need is a screen to display the history. Right now, the user enter a person's account number and have access to several screens, master data, fiscal data and a couple other screens just from that one entry. Being that this history screen is just displaying (no entry fields), do I need a Receive Map since there is nothing to receive entered from the screen? The account number will be passed in the Commarea.

William Collins

Post by William Collins » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:47 pm

If you just display a screen, what is the user going to do?

Lynda850

Post by Lynda850 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 pm

The screen will display historical changes for whatever account they entered at the main screen. For audit purposes they had me to capture the changes which I have already done by modifiying other already exisiting programs. Now they want a screen to display those historical changes since my users can't view the VSAM file.

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others