Point to Specific Partition in the DB

Ask question on - DataBase Concepts, IBM Mainframe DB2, DB2/UDB, DB2 Tools, SQL , DB2 programming with languages like COBOL, PL1.

Moderators: Kalicharan, Moderator Group

hparthas

Point to Specific Partition in the DB

Post by hparthas » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi All,

Can someone let me know whether shall we point to a specific partition (either update or select or Load) if I know that i will data only for that partition. If i perform this I can avoid contention between jobs.

Also I have created my test table where this has 110 columns and total LRECL is 1800, when dump is taken from the database. Will this 110 columns affect my performance of the job processing time.

I'm trying to perform some validations and calculations and create my 1800 LRECL file and update the database where the TS is partitioned into 30 parts. Also in another job i will fetch the data from this same table. will this cause any problem. Also I have included the exclusive hold between these 2 jobs so that i can avoind contention.

Any other input would be great.

Thanks,
Harikrishnan

dbzTHEdinosauer

Post by dbzTHEdinosauer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:16 am

included the exclusive hold
how are you accomplishing that?

if you have to unload and then load the tables,
you need all the columns.

as far as generating separate files, each for input to one of the 30 partitions, -
knowledge of the create table(s) ddl, in particular the partitioning methodology,
is not known by us,
but by you.
they are your tables.

yes, if you have 30 partitions, then you can load/update them with concurrent jobs.

all this sorta depends on what you actually have to accomplish in the way of updates.

need more details before specific suggestions can be made,
i will no longer participate in a theoretical discussion.
Dick Brenholtz
JCL, SQL and code in programs have an irritating habit of doing what you say,
not what you meant.

hparthas

Post by hparthas » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi Dick,

Thanks for your update.

I can accomplish this by placing exclusive hold on the jobs. We can place one job on hold while the other updates / inserts / delets the database so that this will avoid less failure of the job to get failed due to contention.

Yes, I need to load the database with the complete file. Can I point my SQL SELECT statement to specific partition while I select the database in another job ? [Can you give me some sample SELECT statement for this].

I know we can load the database pointing to the specific partition, is that possible for SELECT statement too.

Any other input would be great.

Thanks,
Harikrishnan

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others