Accessing history tables

Ask question on - DataBase Concepts, IBM Mainframe DB2, DB2/UDB, DB2 Tools, SQL , DB2 programming with languages like COBOL, PL1.

Moderators: Kalicharan, Moderator Group

shanthic2003

Accessing history tables

Post by shanthic2003 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi...Could someone help me with identifying the solution with optimum performance to my problem.

I have a db2 table with 20 million records and the history table has more than 30 million records. Active and history are two different tables i.e.., they are not partitioned.

Now my requirement is that before inserting a certain value for a user in active table, i should make sure that similar attribute has not been deleted for that user in the past .ie., i should check also history table if there has been a deletion history.

My PL1 program now only checks active table. Can i extend it to checking also the history table before every insert which is growing over time? Does it cause a big performance issue? Do you have someviews how to solve it?

DikDude

Post by DikDude » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:05 am

Reading 2 tables instead of one should not be a major issue as long as the tables have keys defined that provide direct access to the row(s) needed.

If checking could read thousands of rows in these tables, there will be a performance impact.
Have a good one

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others