Restore DB2 COPY from production to Test - My options are?

Ask question on - DataBase Concepts, IBM Mainframe DB2, DB2/UDB, DB2 Tools, SQL , DB2 programming with languages like COBOL, PL1.

Moderators: Kalicharan, Moderator Group

okonita1

Restore DB2 COPY from production to Test - My options are?

Post by okonita1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:19 am

Hi Gurus,

I need to find a solution on how to take a production backup image file and restore it to my test environment. The backups are made with the COPY utility.

Can all you gurus chip in and provide answers how you will go about performing this restore/data refresh. I know I can use DSN1COPY but that involves OBIDXLAT translation and with many many tablespaces to manage, I will gladly avoid having to do that. I am also aware that I could do Unload from PROD and LOAD to test but I am simply interested in using the backups that is made with the COPY utility. Can I UnLOAD and LOAD from an image dataset made with COPY utility? I will need the syspunch cards also...

Thanks in anticipation of very simple and creative answers.
okonita1

NicC

Post by NicC » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:00 pm

You keep mentioning COPY utility as though it is a program called COPY. If it is then you should refer to its manual on how to restore to a different datasetname. If you are just using COPY instead of the real name then use the manual for the <real name> utility.
Regards
Nic

DikDude

Post by DikDude » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:04 am

Can I UnLOAD and LOAD from an image dataset made with COPY utility?
If you have an "image copy" taken from production you can use this as the input to load into development (as long as the definitions are the same.
Have a good one

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others