What does a career in IT look like today for someone new?

job-related talk - career guidance, state of the job market, interview strategies and stories, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Group

MrSpock

What does a career in IT look like today for someone new?

Post by MrSpock » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm curious what today's IT environment is like for someone who wants to start a career in IT. I've been in it for a long time, and have been involved with recruiting and interviewing potential candidates. I can only imagine that things today are quite different.

I get asked on occasion about how to get into a career in IT, or sometimes if it's even worth consideration as a career. It's a tough question to answer, especially since I don't see it being the same type of life-long career that it used to be.

sssallylane

Post by sssallylane » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:54 am

I think that the IT industry is doing well nowadays, even with the economic downturn. For instance, The IT BPO industry is always in need of employees, so you should be okay.

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 pm

/personal opinion On
Well, in a way i agree with MrSpock - IT is getting popularity in rather developing countries compared to Developed one. IT BPO might sound a good option for them who do not "own the system". If I'm so rich that I can hire cheap-labor to support what I've made (developed) years ago then for the people who I've hired it's a good paying profession but for the near-by population, where I made the business, I've actually made less opportunities for the people who (or whose forefathers) have given their sweat-and-blood to that profession...but then as a businees-man, I'll always look for cheap investment and better results!
/personal opinion Off

PS. No offenses meant for anyone in any way...
Regards,
Anuj

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others