is there any possibility to change the IP by using a JCL?

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on JCL, OS/390 JCL, MVS JCL, z/OS JCL, JES2 & JES3

Moderators: Frank Yaeger, DikDude, Moderator Group

orchestrate

is there any possibility to change the IP by using a JCL?

Post by orchestrate » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:45 pm

We have huge production jcls, one default IP address has included in all those JCLs , query is: is there any possibility to change the IP by using a JCL?

DikDude

Post by DikDude » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:55 am

No, but you could use rexx (if you know rexx or have a co-worker who does) or you could unload the members using a utility, edit the unloaded file, and reload after the ip address has been changed.

Talk with your peers or system support people for how this might be done on your system.
Have a good one

dbzTHEdinosauer

Post by dbzTHEdinosauer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:22 am

since you have to change the jcl anyway,

suggest that IP address be contained in a pds member,
and the dsn for the pds member in the jcl be populated by symbolics.

the ip address input can be concatenated in the sysin or where ever it is needed.

that way you don't have to keep editing the 'files' in the event of new or additional IP's.
Dick Brenholtz
JCL, SQL and code in programs have an irritating habit of doing what you say,
not what you meant.

orchestrate

Post by orchestrate » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:49 pm

DikDude wrote:No, but you could use rexx (if you know rexx or have a co-worker who does) or you could unload the members using a utility, edit the unloaded file, and reload after the ip address has been changed.

Talk with your peers or system support people for how this might be done on your system.
I have already been done like that, copied those members into my own new dataset and i have changed the IP. But my question is there any chance to change those IPs which is in my Dataset by using JCL(utility) or tools.
Imp Note: i gathered all those members in my own dataset, now change part is pending. Any idea

papadba

Post by papadba » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:52 pm

But my question is there any chance to change those IPs which is in my Dataset by using JCL(utility) or tools.
Sure you can - but it depends on how your new dataset is defined. . .

If you have a ps with all of the members with delimiter records (utility control statements) globally edit the ip adddress to the new one and then run the utility to load them into a new pds. If your new file is a pds, you will need to implement something that will work member by member.

It would be a good time to consider what Dick B recommended and do the work only once - not each time something in the ip world changes. . .

MrSpock

Post by MrSpock » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:43 pm

As far as applying a change to a group of members within a PDS, here's a list of some ideas, you can pick and choose what might work for you in your environment:

1. Use the standard utility IPOUPDTE. This is meant for your typical JCLLIB, PROCLIB, and PARMLIB type of data.

2. Use a standard third-party utility (File-Aid, FileManager, PDSFAST, etc.)

3. Use IEBPTPCH to "PUNCH" the PDS into a sequential dataset, then apply your changes to that dataset, reformat it into a standard IEBUPDTE-ready input dataset, and use IEBUPDTE to build a new PDS from the sequential dataset.

4. Programatically. This is a broad topic, but you have many resources available, depending on your skillsets. There are ISPF Edit Macros, ISPF Library Management Services, regular TSO edits, REXX, CLIST, COBOL, Assembler, etc.

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:55 pm

MrSpock wrote:As far as applying a change to a group of members within a PDS, here's a list of some ideas, you can pick and choose what might work for you in your environment:

1. Use the standard utility IPOUPDTE. This is meant for your typical JCLLIB, PROCLIB, and PARMLIB type of data.

3. Use IEBPTPCH to "PUNCH" the PDS into a sequential dataset, then apply your changes to that dataset, reformat it into a standard IEBUPDTE-ready input dataset, and use IEBUPDTE to build a new PDS from the sequential dataset.

4. Programatically. This is a broad topic, but you have many resources available, depending on your skillsets. There are ISPF Edit Macros, ISPF Library Management Services, regular TSO edits, REXX, CLIST, COBOL, Assembler, etc.
Crisp and clear! Thanks for being on the board...:)
Regards,
Anuj

orchestrate

Sorry for delay note, i was on holiday

Post by orchestrate » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:50 pm

MrSpock wrote:As far as applying a change to a group of members within a PDS, here's a list of some ideas, you can pick and choose what might work for you in your environment:

Sorry for delay note, i was on holiday
Awesome, Can you please tell me is it possible thru FileAID, if it so help to do it.

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 pm

You can do is using File-Aid too, however, I'll start with what have you tried so far?
Regards,
Anuj

orchestrate

Post by orchestrate » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:10 pm

By using scan jcl i found the members(1478) name which has that IP address in the JCL, still am finding how to change that IP without doing manually one by one(means need to change at single shot). Any idea :shock:

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others