Rexx Code encryption

Ask/Clarify the questions on TSO, CLIST & REXX

Moderators: Veera, Moderator Group

jiteshyadav

Rexx Code encryption

Post by jiteshyadav » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi,
I have created few utilities in Rexx and I have to showcase these to the clients. But my concern is that they may save the Rexx codes and further use those.
So is there any way to encrypt the Rexx programs?
One option in my mind is to use a Rexx compiler to create load module and run those on client sites. But we do not have a rexx compiler at our site. Is there any alternative?

NicC

Post by NicC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:23 pm

You can but... You will probably have to come up with some way of encrypting it yourself. I did that once but it involved treating the whole program as a single string. You could try using packed data or just clean up after your demo. If the code does not use mainframe specific features then you could try showing a PC version - simulating any m/f stuff that you absolutely must have. OORexx has a cut-down version of EXECIO but you can use linein/out instead, for example. The all you have to do is have your code on a pen drive which you take away with you again. Panels are just 'icing': they are not 100% required in any circumstance - there is always a work-around. You are only giving a demo anyway. Note that you cannot compile rexx programs that use certain facilities. And stick copyright notices all over the place and keep a pristine copy of the code with your company's legal department (if you are so paranoid).
Regards
Nic

NicC

Post by NicC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:25 pm

You can but... You will probably have to come up with some way of encrypting it yourself. I did that once but it involved treating the whole program as a single string. You could try using packed data or just clean up after your demo. If the code does not use mainframe specific features then you could try showing a PC version - simulating any m/f stuff that you absolutely must have. OORexx has a cut-down version of EXECIO but you can use linein/out instead, for example. The all you have to do is have your code on a pen drive which you take away with you again. Panels are just 'icing': they are not 100% required in any circumstance - there is always a work-around. You are only giving a demo anyway. Note that you cannot compile rexx programs that use certain facilities. And stick copyright notices all over the place and keep a pristine copy of the code with your company's legal department (if you are so paranoid).
Regards
Nic

NicC

Post by NicC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:25 pm

Deleted - response time was so bad that I tried resubmitting but it had already accepted the above post.
Regards
Nic

jiteshyadav

Post by jiteshyadav » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi Nicc,

Thanks for your swift response.
The thing is that we have to run these tools in mainframe environment only. And since we are an outsider to the client, client won't be giving mainframe access to us which leaves us to handing over the codes to the client and let them run the tools.
As per your response it seems there is no standard way around to do this.
The only option then is to convince my higher ups to get a license for Rexx compiler. Right?
Also even if I have a Rexx compiler and I create the load modules, those load modules will be run using some IBM utility I guess.
What if at client location that particular IBM utility to run the load module is not available? This solution won't work, right?

Thanks

NicC

Post by NicC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Well - I no longer care as you have wasted my time by posting on another forum which is against most forum rules. I have locked the other topic that I have access to albeit after the horse has bolted, so to speak. Request a moderator also lock this - and any other duplicates.
Regards
Nic

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others