Update Count in Outfile file by reading 2 input Files

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on DFSORT, ICETOOL , SyncSort & JCL Utilities

Moderators: Frank Yaeger, Moderator Group

jumanapaul

Post by jumanapaul » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 pm

I dont want it to be a manual process. Basically i want to read two files and write count into output as mentioned above. Can u pls help me out.

DikDude

Post by DikDude » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:48 am

One way to get what you want is to have3 2 steps that each read a file and write the count to the same output file. Use disp MOD for the second file.
Have a good one

William Collins

Post by William Collins » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 pm

You will have output counts from your original unload? Write those down. Use those. Type them into a dataset, side-by-side, if you want.

Evaluate the amount of resources used by that method.

Now, even excluding effort expended on coding, evaluate the resources expended on reading through both files in their entirety to get an equivalent dataset.

Be aware that for any type of reconcilliation a simple count is useless if that is all you have.

jumanapaul

Post by jumanapaul » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks for that. I have multiple files to reaf and write tge count in output. So manual process is not possible. Can someone pls tell me how to achieve this using any sort utilituy.

NicC

Post by NicC » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:17 am

Is this a one-off exercise or a daily/weekly/monthly task? If a regular task then get the dataset creation programs to write the totals either to a trailer record that sort can easily extract or write the count to a common file. If a one-off exercise then it is proably as easy to get the record counts manually as it is to run each dataset through sort individually to get the count.
Regards
Nic

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others