Function to Convert Numeric Data

This is a Mainframe COBOL forum - you can post your queries on Mainframe COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL/370 , Enterprise COBOL

Moderators: dbzTHEdinosauer, Moderator Group

lnpdavid

Function to Convert Numeric Data

Post by lnpdavid » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:06 am

I use FUNCTION NUMVAL(fieldname) to convert an alpha field to a numeric value.

That works fine as long as the field contains numbers, decinal point and possibly a minus sign. It DOES NOT work if the field has a comma.

Good example: 1234.55
Bad example: 1,234.55

Is there another function that will convert the field if it contains a comma?
David Earhart

William Collins

Post by William Collins » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:53 am

No.

Is the number you want to convert in a fixed position?

I'd just REDFINES so I can get at the parts of the field, check that commas are commas, decimal-point is ",", parts are numeric, and then put the number together with MOVEs to a receiver without the editing characters.

If you can't be bothered with checking for validity, you can REDEFINES with an editing PICture which represents the data and just MOVE it to your numeric destination field (it's called "de-editing").

If the number is not in a fixed position, you can always arrange that it is so, and proceed as above. Ensure there is always at least one leading blank, UNSTRING to two fields DELIMITED BY ALL SPACE, ignore the first field and define the second as alpha-numeric with JUSTIFIED RIGHT.

I never use NUMVAL or NUMVAL-C. As you notice, they die in an instant with "bad" data, and no way to determine beforehand that the data is bad, without writing code which then means you don't need to use them...

Vamsi99

Post by Vamsi99 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Try following code.

Code: Select all

01  Sample.
     05  WS-SOURCE              PIC X(8) VALUE '1,234.55'.
     05  WS-SOURCE-R             REDEFINES WS-SOURCE
                                PIC 9,999.99.
 01  WS-TARGET-VALUE              PIC 9(8).

PROCEDURE DIVISION.

MOVE WS-SOURCE-R           TO  WS-TARGET-VALUE .

William Collins

Post by William Collins » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Yes, and try it with VALUE '12234555' or '1p234q56' or 'ABCDEFGH' etc. You have to be really sure of the data to use that, and it's slower.

It is, however, less typing, which seems good enough for many...

lnpdavid

Post by lnpdavid » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:54 pm

My data is not in a fixed position. The number is formatted out of Excel so my field should be in some type of numeric format.

I did a deeper dive into the functions and discovered NUMVAL-C will take care of the dollar sign and commas.
David Earhart

William Collins

Post by William Collins » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:31 am

Yes, I think I must have looked at the syntax diagram for NUMVAL twice :-)

If your data is coming from Excel, why don't you get the output without the commas anyway? Or are you working off an existing output which can't be changed, and you can't get your own?

Excel is good news for NUMVAL/NUMVAL-C, because the data is going to be a valid format - except for that occasion when you get the output field filled (you'll see lots of #s). If the output field from Excel is large enough that that can't happen (guaranteed) then fine. But I'd still check for that value, and do something, rather than just let NUMVAL-C crash.

I'd personally still do it differently. How big are your fields? More than 15 significant digits? Watch for that with NUMVAL/NUMVAL-C. The other thing is that you get "a floating-point approximation" out of NUMVAL/NUMVAL-C, You may want to check what happens with values which can't be exactly expressed as a floating-point value.

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others