HOw to run jcl at particular date and time?

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on JCL, OS/390 JCL, MVS JCL, z/OS JCL, JES2 & JES3

Moderators: Frank Yaeger, DikDude, Moderator Group

parthiban

HOw to run jcl at particular date and time?

Post by parthiban » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:48 am

Hi..
I would like to know ..how to run jcl at particular date and time...Like how an automation work does...If possible..Let me know that...
pls explain with keyword and example...Thank u

Bye
PARTHIBANJ

Natarajan

Post by Natarajan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 am

as per my knowledge, we need to use CA-7 tool to set a jcl to execute in a specified time. OR any other similar tool.
Natarajan
Chennai

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi,

Natarajan has given you the right direction - CA-7, ESP or any other Scheduler software is the right choice for such things. There are some non-production scenarios where people use INTRDR in the last step of some JCL to initiate the next logical JCL. . . but they are not that reliable . . .
Regards,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi 'gain,
The JES2 Set Automatic command $TA is issued on the MVS Master Console. It tells JES to execute another JES command at the specified time or interval.

The tricky part is telling JES what command to issue at that time. There are no JES commands to submit a job (you can easily start a task, though), so you have to think about what you want to do. Of course, most shops usually have a task that can be started and passed a jobname, which the task will read from a specific library and submit through the Internal Reader. You would need to know the name of that task and what library(s) it reads the jobs from.

The only possibility I can think of is to submit your job with TYPRUN=HOLD. Then, issue the $TA command for the set time. Have the $TA command issue the $A command to release your specific job.

Surely these test systems must offer some sort of alternative??
Regards,
Anuj

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others