Difference between Bind and Rebind

Ask question on - DataBase Concepts, IBM Mainframe DB2, DB2/UDB, DB2 Tools, SQL , DB2 programming with languages like COBOL, PL1.

Moderators: Kalicharan, Moderator Group

srilata83

Difference between Bind and Rebind

Post by srilata83 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me what is bind and rebind in DB2 ?As someone told me Bind has to done from the beginning so as to generate a new timestamp and it generally done when there is any changes made in cobol program.
but when rebind has to done?can anyone tell me the scenario when we have to go for rebind instead of bind.
i was checking for the plans whether the binding has done for this or not, then i found many plans are not bound.what shud we go for in this case, BIND or REBIND :?:
If there is no changes made in cobol program then shall we go for Rebind, but why? :?:
Please clarify my doubts and correct me if my understanding is wrong about this concept.

Thanks in advance.

kishore

Post by kishore » Fri May 08, 2009 5:37 am

REBINDs are usually done during the maintenance. When there are lot of inserts/updates/deletes were done on the table, there is a potential of having data spread far from its page. In order to regain the performance, tables will be reorganized and statistics will be collected. These new statistics will not be available for the DB2 programs (plans & packages) until they are bound again with these new statistics. When you rebind DB2 can use the new statistics and update the access paths so that the programs can perform better / efficiently.
Kishore

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri May 08, 2009 5:02 pm

hi,

Suggest you spend some time here with this link Sticky:Plans,DBRMS,Packages,Collections,Versions ..Confusion. and post us back if you still have questions . . .
Regards,
Anuj

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others