How to FTP a dataset from my mainframe to personal Folder

Ask questions about any other mainframe topics which are not covered above

Moderator: Moderator Group

rajarajeswari

How to FTP a dataset from my mainframe to personal Folder

Post by rajarajeswari » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:15 am

Hi all

am using 3270 display mainframe session connected to mainframe server.
I need to FTP a dataset from my mainframe to y personal folder in my desktop .

Without using more commands.

Am having an icon in the tool bar in my mainframe session as 'Transfer File'.

Please let me know in detail.

Thanks in advance

Correct me if am wrong.....
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".

dbzTHEdinosauer

Post by dbzTHEdinosauer » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:07 am

what emulator software are you using?

that toolbar belongs to the emulator, not to the mainframe 3270 session. although you can click on that to transfer files, it is a function of the emulator program on your pc.

now, somewhere else on that window, you have help. click on that before you click on the 'transfer file' icon.

or, you can click on the transfer file icon and see what happens............................
Dick Brenholtz
JCL, SQL and code in programs have an irritating habit of doing what you say,
not what you meant.

Gargi

Post by Gargi » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:23 am

First go to the main menu which you get then enter option 6 (check yours) for Command - Enter TSO or workstations command.
then click on transfer files. Enter the tso file name you wish to FTP then click on browse to choose your destination folder .
Then click on receive.

varun

Post by varun » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:16 am

There are two ways to transfer data from your mainframe system to your local PC. One of them as you have already figured out from is the option of "File Transfer" in your emulator software (this is NOT FTP, rather it uses another file transfer 'protocal' (if I may call it a protocol) IND$).

Further, in the File Transfer mode there are two settings which depends on the type of data :

1) Binary Data - Data which you dont intend to or you can not view/edit on your PC eg. executable modules, dump files etc.
2) Text Data - Data that you can 'view' edit in ISPF on mainframe.

For transferring the first kind of data make sure that you have ASCII and CRLF checkbox UNCHECKED under the file transfer settings.

For transferring 'readable' data - it should be CHECKED.

The complete procedure would be

1) Go to TSO command prompt or option 6 (most probably) and click on the button 'File Transfer' on your emulator software.
2) In the PC file name field - specify the location of your local folder
3) In the Host file name field - specify the name of the dataset on your mainframe system - IN QUOTES.
4) Make sure the settings are correct (ASCII and CRLF turned ON/OFF as described above).
5) Click on OK.

However, as I mentioned above this is NOT FTP and hence it is comparatively slower. I dont use this method for larger datasets as I have to keep waiting untill the file transfer has finished and also it takes more time. If you want to know about FTP file transfer as well, I can describe again in some other post. This is getting too long for anybody to read with interest :)

HTH,
Varun

dvdbrwn112

Thank you

Post by dvdbrwn112 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:35 am

I am new to this forum and I am searching on the google for this topic and found this forum. This forum is really good.It is very good tutorial given by the Varun. It is very easy to understand the things and It is really working. Yes definitely, It is slow to transfer the data. I am having the larger data so will you guide me to transfer the data in less time so
I need the FTP file transfer. I am waiting for your post as mentioned on the above posting. I know it is difficult but not impossible. Answers will be much appreciated.

academyindia4

Topic deleted by Admin

Post by academyindia4 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:34 pm

<< Content deleted By Admin >>

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others