XREF Creation

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on FILE-AID tool

Moderators: Anuj Dhawan, Moderator Group

kotesh

XREF Creation

Post by kotesh » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:28 am

Hi,
Could some one help me,in creating an XREF File.
How Can I view a file in Fileaid which has multiple Record Layouts.

Sagarmukkawar

Post by Sagarmukkawar » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Somewhat late......:)

We may use file-aid for the creation of XREF with the help pf w;f;7 option in the endevour.

Hope it Might be useful...........

sharadgarg123

Post by sharadgarg123 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:21 am

To view a XREF file for multiple recordsets enter the details of XREF. member name and appropiate selection criteria for recordset to be viewed and it is opened in the format as selected.

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi,

Please note this thread is been inactive for nearly 1 year, it's good to add in though - but question was how to create XREF & not how to use them?
Regards,
Anuj

Dave E

Post by Dave E » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:28 pm

Hi,

Creating an XREF is really easy.

1. Take option 7 (labeled XREF) from the primary menu of File-AID.

2. Enter the dataset name of your XREF library and a member name for the XREF you want to create. For example, FILEAID.XREF as the dataset and PAYMENTS as the XREF member name, if this is for a payments data file. Note, the following are the attributes for the XREF dataset if you don't have one already allocated RECFM=VB, LRECL=300, BLKSIZE=304 and this MUST be a PDS.

3. On the same screen, enter the name of your record layout dataset (usually a copybook library). Then press enter.

4. On the next screen, enter a description for this XREF (this is optional). Then, on the bottom half of the screen, enter member names of members in the layout dataset which you want to use. When you press enter, File-AID automatically gets the 01 level record definitions from the layout members.

5. Using the S line command, against each of the record layout members, will bring up the record layout on the screen for you. Here i swhere you specify the condition that must be met in order for File-AID to use this record layout in your edit/browse session. For example, if you have a field called PAYMENT-TYPE, then under the RO column (which stands for relational operator) enter EQ and then to the right of that you can specify a value, for example DIRECT. This means that this record layout will be used whenever the PAYMENT-TYPE field has a value equal to the literal DIRECT. You will need to repeat this process for every record layout that you want to use in this XREF, obviously each one will have a different condition attached to it. Once you have finished, simply PF3 back out to your primary menu of File-AID.

6. You are now ready to use the XREF. Take option 2 (EDIT) from the primary menu. Enter the name of the dataset you want to edit and select edit mode of F (formatted). Enter record layout usage of X, specify the record laout dataset but NO member name. Specify the name of your XREF dataset and also the XREF member name. Then press enter. Now you will be in your edit session in formatted mode. As you scroll through your records, using PF11, File-AID will automatically select the correct layout definition depending on the selection criteria you defined in the XREF set up.

Easy as that ...

Good luck.
Dave E
Software Engineer

20sam13

** Using an XREF in File-Aid

Post by 20sam13 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:30 pm

I created an XREF that contains a 400-byte "data area" with over 340 redefined layouts within the single copybook.

Created the selection criteria
Selected the corresponding 05 group level data name that redefines the 400-byte "data area" (starting in col 100)
Saved everything, no errors

I try to browse the file, but it never shows the top 99-bytes + the CORRECT 400-byte "data area" redefined layout.

The criteria is based upon an error # in COL #10 defined as S9(04).

When I go and view the XREF, the criteria condition is trying to match on a "+9999" formatted type of number. But, the screen shows the top 99-bytes along with ALL of the XREF layouts I created.

What am I doing wrong??
Scott M

academyindia4

Topic deleted by Admin

Post by academyindia4 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:40 pm

<< Content deleted By Admin >>

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others