Got Offer for Application support, presently in Maintainece

job-related talk - career guidance, state of the job market, interview strategies and stories, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Group

chitra

Got Offer for Application support, presently in Maintainece

Post by chitra » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi all,

I got offer for Application support, presently I am working in Maintainence project from 2.5 yrs(total exp in mainframe 2.5). I am ready to work on Application support for 1year or so. But it could be difficult for me afterwards.

Could any body advice me, how much it will be difficult to switch from Application support to Maintaince/Development.

Thanks,
Chitra

Natarajan

Post by Natarajan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi Chitra,

Welcome to mainframegurukul.com.

To answer your question. It dont see any issues switching between maintenance and support. only thing is.. it may take 1 or 2 months time to adjust in that new area.

All the best.
Natarajan
Chennai

Vamsi99

Post by Vamsi99 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:41 pm

I agree with Natarajan partiallly.
My suggestion is to stick with development, instead of moving into support.

chitra

Post by chitra » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Natarajan wrote:Hi Chitra,

Welcome to mainframegurukul.com.

To answer your question. It dont see any issues switching between maintenance and support. only thing is.. it may take 1 or 2 months time to adjust in that new area.

All the best.

Thanks a lot Natarajan!

Will it effect my profie and what about the learning in support.

Natarajan

Post by Natarajan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:00 pm

If it is only for 1 year, it wont show, much difference to your profile.
As per my experience, you can learn things in support in 6 months, after that
very few learning will be there.

Finally, my suggestion is , stay in support for 1 year and come back to development.
Natarajan
Chennai

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:40 am

Hi Chitra,

To start with, I would say - it's a question of personal choice. Both the fields have their own pros & cons.

Mainframe is a Technology which is in use since very long, when we say we are in "development" actually we are just enhancing the existing system - as you said "Maintaince"..by the way what "type" of Miantaince you have been associated with so far and do you like this ? While, on the other hand, support comes with sudden challanges in the form of Production abends & SLA breaches...do you like such things ?

Lastly- if I were you - I could have requested my current employer to put me in Support for some time & have postponed my "new" joining; after three-six months I would again appear for interview & join other comapny as a "developer" but then again it depends on what you prefer on what. Joining a new company with a "new" role with which you're not comfortable or experienced is something like "one way traffic- you can't come back", when you join a new company, per me, your first impression is the last impression unless you stay there for a very very long time & if you dont'.. you actually don't swith among differernt roles so frquently - so start with what you like the most & not with a dilemma.

Try to answer above two questions by your own & do a little meditation on them..hopefully you'll get near to your final decision..Good Luck.. :)
Regards,
Anuj

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others