How to read MFS

IMS DB database, DL/I commands etc

Moderator: Moderator Group

WANTAMB

How to read MFS

Post by WANTAMB » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi,
I am a Java dev, I am working on a project, which requires to create an interface to send data to mainframe, the data format should be same as the MFS provided today.
I need somebody here to school me how to read the MFS source. I visited IBM web site , downloaded the IMS premier redbook, I am stiil confused. Could somebody here explain what is the structure and how to read it. The device type seems is for 3270-A2.

Thanks a lot.
James.
New, seansoned Java DEV

JSchmitt

Post by JSchmitt » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:56 pm

I think you want to create an IMS Connect solution. In this cas the DIF/DOF which descriped the layout of the output on a 3270-terminal is uninportant for you. You may need the MID and MOD sections of the MFS definitions to find out how the messages which should be sent to the IMS transaktion and the anwser looks like.

If you are using RD/z and the mainframe transaction is written in COBOL there may be any assistance for this task. Unfortunately, I can't tell more about it, because I'm a PL/1 developer.

I want to suggest you, that you may book an IMS/CD training to get the necessary skills for this task.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others