Moderator: Moderator Group

sathish778

please clear my doubt

Post by sathish778 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:00 am

This was a question asked in my internal interview

ACCT DFHMDF POS=(1,21),LENGTH=14,JUSTIFY=(LEFT,BLANK), *
ATTRB=(UNPROT,NUM,NORM,FSET),PICOUT='X(14)', *
PICIN='X(14)'

If the above field ACCT is declared under a physical map which has TYPE=MAP and MODE=INOUT in the mapset definition,
For the field ACCT we can get the input from the user and also send the modified output to the same field once after we do our manipulations using our application program.

And I can do the same process of input and output for the field ACCT if it is declared under a symbolic map with TYPE=DSECT and MODE=INOUT instead of physical map.

If we can manipulate the input data entered in a physical map and produce the output in it, what is the need for the symbolic map then?.

I request you to give your comments on the above question.

NicC

Post by NicC » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Have you tried looking in the manual? Basically the 2 maps are needed because one is in your programs language - COBOLPL/1 etc and the other is a load module for your program to use when processing the terminal stuff. That is a wild and wooly definition but you should get the drift. For precise answers - read the manuals. That is what they are there for - not for chocking the door open or taking up disk space just for fun.
Regards
Nic

Aashiq

Post by Aashiq » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:47 am

As far as I know, the difference between physical and symbolic map are the time they are being referred.. Physical map is referred at the time of execution and symbolic map is referred at the time of compilation.

while compiling the physical map, it generates a symbolic data structure to transfer the data.. and mostly datas transferred here would be constants ..
And another main quality of physical map is.. it is the one which is much concerned about the screen alignment and gives the position of each and every attribute in the map..

In case of symbolic map, it genrates an internal datastructure with 5 suffixes for each and every data for the input-output map .. the suffixes are I, O, A, F and L.

this allow us to transfer the data in the field and modify it using our application program and we can transfer the output to the formatted screen of symbolic map..

I am not sure.. if the above said things are correct.. but this is what i have learnt ...

Could some one please correct me If I am wrong.
"Helping hand is better than praying lips"

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others