Home      Mainframe Forum      Mainfarme Tutorials      IBM Manuals      Mainframe Interview Questions      Mainframe Books      IT News     SiteMap     Downloads

MAINFRAME - TIP OF THE DAY : When you specified V for RECFM parameter, LRECL value is largest record in the file plus 4 bytes. These four bytes contain the actual length of each variable length record in the file

Google

Web mainframegurukul.com

Conditional Count using IFTRAIL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    mainframegurukul.com Forum Index -> DFSORT , ICETOOL & Utilities
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajat_kharbanda

Answer was approved by Question owner.
Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
Greate Post!! Salute Author
0 salutes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Conditional Count using IFTRAIL Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not sure if anything such as this already exist in one of the posts, but if it does can you direct me to it.

I have 2 VB files, 1000 each bytes with similar format. Below is some sample data

000000XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
100000XXXXXXXXXXXXYYYYYY
200000ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
300000AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
999999CCCCCCCCzzzzzzzzzzz

the first 6 characters give the record type where 000000 is the header (only one in each file) and 999999 is the trailer (only one in each file). The data in both these files exist in sets such as record types 100000, 200000 and 300000 form 1 set. Every set in the files will contain 1 record each for 100000 and 200000. There may be none or many records in each set corresponding to 300000.

What needs to be achieved here is a merge of these 2 files with the output containing one header and one trailer. The trailer (999999) should have the count of SETS and not records, 8 bytes starting position 7.

Each set could be identified by the record 100000, so basically the trailer should have a count of 100000 type records.
Click here, If this post answer your question. <-- Click on right mark icon. If this post answer your question.

William Collins

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "merge" do you mean that as MERGE in its meaning in SORT utilities? If so, what would you use as the key? If not, can you please clarify?

Which SORT product are you using? WHEN=GROUP and PUSH an ID would "count" the 100000 records. KEYBEGIN in DFSORT, RESTART a sequence number and BEGIN=sequenceno1 for Syncsort.

PUSH to the beginning of the record as you have variable-length records.

The ID (effectively a sequence number for the group) will magically appear on your trailer.

You need to BUILD to obliterate the ID from the data records and to include it on the trailer. A GROUP with a sequence number with BEGIN for the trailer should allow you to INCLUDE/OMIT the trailer you don't want. Similar for the header.
Click here, If this post answer your question. <-- Click on right mark icon. If this post answer your question.
rajat_kharbanda

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi William,

Thanks for getting back. No, I mean a direct merge here. Say file 1 has records 1,2,5,3 and File 2 has 6,2,4,8. I would want the output to have records in the order 1,2,5,3,6,2,4,8.

I did have this solution on my mind, but was looking for a simpler solution where I do not have to amend anything to the record.

Thanks.
NicC

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not a merge - that is a concatenation.
rajat_kharbanda

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Nic, it's upto a person's perception. From my perceptive, if I have 2 files with 1 containing records of 80 bytes and the other containing records of 120 bytes, I would say on concatenation, I would get a file of 200 bytes.
rajat_kharbanda

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was wrong on how I depicted the merge in my first reply. To make it more clear, if i have the records in 1st file as:

and my second file has records as

I would need the final o/p as

Anuj Dhawan

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still agree with Nic.
rajat_kharbanda

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if that is the case. Refer to the above problem as a concatenation instead of merge.

Apologies for misleading.
DikDude

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One person's perception does not really matter. . . What does matter is that we all use the same terminology (otherwise everything quickly gets out of control). It is a good thing to train one's perception to use the standard/acceptable terminology and not somthing that one or a few have decided to use because they prefer it.

When you combine these 2 files, what should the output be (recfm, lrecl, anthing else we should know to help)?
NicC

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MERGE in sort terms is getting all the records from 2 or more datasets into a key sequence. Sticking the contents of one or more datasets to the end of another dataset so that the whole lot looks like one big dataset is concatenation. You actually are doing neither as your datasets are of different record lengths. You now have to say which dataset is to be forced to the record length of the other dataset - presumably by padding the first dataset with blanks to the full 120 bytes required. Of course, you may be willing to have the last 40 bytes chopped off the second dataset.
rajat_kharbanda

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have already apologized for my thinking/perception being wrong.
The point where I talked about different file lengths was just to explain what I thought was concatenation.
I have given all the file details in my original problem. RECFM=VB, LRECL=1000.
DikDude

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to create a single file frm the 2 existing files copy from the inputs to a new output.

Depending on whether a combined file is even necessary, you could simply use te following to read the data
Code:

//INPUT    DD DSN=the.first.dsn,DISP=OLD
//         DD DSN=the.second.dsn,DISP=OLD

If you only need to read them as one file, the above will work. It you really need the combined file, use the above as the SORTIN DD of a Sort copy step.
rajat_kharbanda

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. This was simple, the tricky part comes where I need the count of record sets in the trailer.
DikDude

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow on:

Don't beat yourself up too much Wink

We may appear a bit harsh, but if we help, it is usually worth it.
rajat_kharbanda

Useful Post
0 votes
Not an useful post
0 salutes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree DikDude. That is why I keep coming back. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mainframegurukul.com Forum Index -> DFSORT , ICETOOL & Utilities All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: