cobol+db2 batch program testing

This is a Mainframe COBOL forum - you can post your queries on Mainframe COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL/370 , Enterprise COBOL

Moderators: dbzTHEdinosauer, Moderator Group

vishnu19877

cobol+db2 batch program testing

Post by vishnu19877 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:16 am

Hi

my requirement is batch program.so i completed cobol+db2 coding and also i prepared unit test cases.but i don't know how to prepare testing for batch program and test case setup. please i need help how to prepare for teting and test data setup.mainly my requirement is cursor.please help me any body.i need urgent help

NicC

Post by NicC » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:32 pm

No urgent help on a forum - only help as and when someone wants to help. For urgent stuff do what you should have done in the first place - ask your work mates. The forum is a place of LAST resource, not first.
Regards
Nic

DikDude

Post by DikDude » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:10 am

but i don't know how to prepare testing for batch program and test case setup.
This is not the first program unit testd on your system. You need to talk with someone who has recently tested some other program and learn how they accomplished testing.

The organizations i've been associated with have a normal way to test that includes test data and test results. When preparing something new/changed for promotion, the standard process must be followed. These are organization specific and we do not know what your "rules" are.
Have a good one

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:59 am

vishnu19877,

The way you've posed your question it does not really sound like a practical Production environment problem.

Having said that, Test data preparation is totally application specific, so even if you say, you're working with a DB2-Cursor -- there is no ready-made test cases for that, apart from, may be, including OPEN, FETCH and CLOSE of Cursor in test cases.
Regards,
Anuj

DikDude

Post by DikDude » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:12 am

Regardless whether this will become production or not, there should be a standard way to test on the system being used and this way should be used.
... i prepared unit test cases.but i don't know how to prepare testing for batch program and test case setup
I do not understand this. I failed to question this earlier.

Possibly some clarification will be posted.
Last edited by DikDude on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have a good one

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Said bit differntly before - I should have said that it looks like a practice exercise instead of a practical-production problem.

Yes, more clarification is needed.
Regards,
Anuj

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others