Which Compiler to use

This is a Mainframe COBOL forum - you can post your queries on Mainframe COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL/370 , Enterprise COBOL

Moderators: dbzTHEdinosauer, Moderator Group

laku

Which Compiler to use

Post by laku » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:05 pm

Hi,

I am a beginner , studying COBOL. I would like to compile my programs on my home pc. I see that there are a lot of free compilers online. Can anyone suggest me which compiler to download and use for my practice?
Laku

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." Mahatma Gandhi

arrbee

Post by arrbee » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:07 am

You can use MS-COBOL compiler.
Arr Bee
-------------
?My joy in learning is partly that it enables me to teach? - Seneca(Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

laku

how to use?

Post by laku » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:26 pm

Thanks Arrbee!

I down loaded MS-COBOL Compiler, but can u please guide me through the compiling process?

I have my programs on Word format, do i have to convert them to anyother format?
Laku

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." Mahatma Gandhi

arrbee

Post by arrbee » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:00 pm

You can convert the MS-WORD docs to normal .TXT files. Also, you need to follow the rules to achieve a successful compilation. It is something like having the divisions start in the 8th column and procedure division statements in 12th column etc. You can refer to any cobol manuals for these details.

HTH.
Arr Bee
-------------
?My joy in learning is partly that it enables me to teach? - Seneca(Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others