JCL - INCLUDE Condition - SORT INCLUDE COND

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on JCL, OS/390 JCL, MVS JCL, z/OS JCL, JES2 & JES3

Moderators: Frank Yaeger, DikDude, Moderator Group

nbmurali307

JCL - INCLUDE Condition - SORT INCLUDE COND

Post by nbmurali307 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:29 am

I'm new to JCL programming. I have a clarification in JCL; again I don't know whether I could ask the question here, In JCL,

Question 1:
I have created a program to extract information from a set of dataset(s). I tried with 1 dataset with some condition and it gives me the output size of 10 megabytes and tried with 10 dataset(s) with the same condition in one JCL program and it gives me the output size of 10 megabytes. Is there a size limit for JCL output file. If yes, how could I increase from 10megabytes to 20megabytes? and what is maximum limit I could increase.

Question 2:
If I want to filter the records using a JCL include condition, how should I specify the condition for my specific need. Please refer the below example records.

e.g:

20060320 B6J8 PK E2156B 04 0PK74 0009 2
20060320 B6J8 PK E2156B 04 0PK74 0012 1
20060320 B6J8 PK E2156B 29 *I+ 0014 1
20060320 B6J8 PK E2156B 34 QC/+ 0016 1

In the above records column position 30,2 I want to filter the 2bytes from the position 30-31 and it should be alphabets or numeric (both 2 bytes should be alphabets or numeric)

Thanks in advance. Bala

Frank Yaeger

Post by Frank Yaeger » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:23 pm

1. The size of the output data set depends on the space you allocated for it. For example, if you specify SPACE=(CYL,(5,5)), you'll get a primary of 5 cylinders and secondaries of 5 cylinders as needed. To increase the size of the output data set, increase the space you allocate for it.

2. You can use a DFSORT job like this to do what you want. I'm assuming by alpahabetic you mean 'A'-'Z' and by numeric you mean '0'-'9'.

Code: Select all

//S1    EXEC  PGM=ICEMAN
//SYSOUT    DD  SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN DD DSN=...  input file
//SORTOUT DD DSN=...  output file
//SYSIN    DD    *
  OPTION COPY
  INCLUDE FORMAT=SS,
   COND=(30,1,EQ,C'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789',AND,
         31,1,EQ,C'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789')
/*
If you're not familiar with DFSORT and DFSORT's ICETOOL, I'd suggest reading through "z/OS DFSORT: Getting Started". It's an excellent tutorial, with lots of examples, that will show you how to use DFSORT, DFSORT's ICETOOL and DFSORT Symbols. You can access it online, along with all of the other DFSORT books, from:

www.ibm.com/servers/storage/support/sof ... tmpub.html
Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yaeger@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort

nbmurali307

JCL - INCLUDE Condition

Post by nbmurali307 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:13 am

Hi,

First, I have no idea how the cylinder definition work, how many do I need to define as the primary and how many as the secondary in order to capture all the data I need. Secondly, do I have a limit on how many cylinders I can define in our JCL?

how do I decide how many primary/secondary cylinders to define.

Thanks in advance.

Bala

Frank Yaeger

Post by Frank Yaeger » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:26 pm

That's something you have to determine based on the amount of data you'll be writing to the output data set and the capacity of the devices you're using for output. There are formulas for how much data fits on a track, cylinder, etc for each type of device.

If your output data set size will be equal to your input data set size, you can just look at the space information for the input data set and allocate the same amount for the output data set. One way to check the space used for the input data set is with ISPF 3.2.

This is pretty basic JCL stuff. I'd suggest doing some reading or taking a class.
Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yaeger@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort

academyindia4

Topic deleted by Admin

Post by academyindia4 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:00 pm

<< Content deleted By Admin >>

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others