db2 begginer

Ask question on - DataBase Concepts, IBM Mainframe DB2, DB2/UDB, DB2 Tools, SQL , DB2 programming with languages like COBOL, PL1.

Moderators: Kalicharan, Moderator Group

chintu

db2 begginer

Post by chintu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:18 pm

hai,
I wanted to know the good and easy book(i mean which is easily understood) for db2.I know cobol,jcl and want to learn db2.Iam a begginer.

thanks in advance.

DavidatK

db2 begginer

Post by DavidatK » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:43 am

Chintu

There are several books out there that you can learn from.

The two that I have are ?DB2 for COBOL Part1? and ?DB2 for COBOL Part2? I had been away from Db2 for some time and picked these up as a refresher for some job interviews about 6 years ago. For someone that wants to learn with little or no DB2 background, they are probably OK. I was hoping for something not quite so basic.

Both of there were published in 1998/99 but still have relevant information. DB2 V8 and V9 have some good improvements, but get the basics out of these books first.

Once you have read these books and have done some DB2 programming you will find you are using them seldom. I don?t find them good reference books. For the reference books I like the IBM Web Site for the DB2 manuals.

As you are learning DB2, if you have any questions about Db2 that you don?t understand, please let us know. We?ll be glad to help.

Dave

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others