General Qury

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on JCL, OS/390 JCL, MVS JCL, z/OS JCL, JES2 & JES3

Moderators: Frank Yaeger, DikDude, Moderator Group

scorprahul22

General Qury

Post by scorprahul22 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Job J1 executes a batch COBOL program C1 that reads an input flat file I1 from source system and generates output file O1 as feed for the down stream system. Output file O1 created as feed to downstream is fixed-block (FB) file. Due to introduction of some new fields (a depending on table field) on source system side we need to change the downstream file O1 to a VB file.

What would be the changes required in various technical objects (JCL, COBOL program etc) to accomplish the same.

Can someone suggest

Gerry Ciccheti

Post by Gerry Ciccheti » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:52 am

Same question asked in another forum.

Natarajan

VB FILE JCL COBOL

Post by Natarajan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:57 am

My opinion - People go to different forums, if they are not satisfied with the answer in one forum OR they might be in hurry to get answer quickly.

My suggestion is to give answer to them, if we have time , so that, it will be useful to those members, who read/visit this thread. If we say 'it is answered in another forum' , it is difficult/not possible to search all other forums for the similar thread.

Yes, I agree, This type of duplicate threads will waste the time of the people who is answering the questions on different mainframe forums.
But it is also saves time of the people, who is searching in this forum.

--------------------

.2 cents for this questions.

Variable Block File - Use RECORDING MODE IS V, BLOCK CONTAINS 0. Do not code the extra 4 bytes for record length in FD ie JCL rec length will be max rec length in pgm + 4

Variable Unblocked - Use RECORDING MODE IS V, do not use BLOCK CONTAINS. Do not code extra 4 bytes for record length in FD ie JCL rec length will be max rec length in pgm + 4.
Natarajan
Chennai

Natarajan

Post by Natarajan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:06 pm

Also refer.... last section of... JCL tutorial
http://www.geocities.com/srcsinc/drona/ ... pter6.html
Natarajan
Chennai

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others