Efficiency in using DFSORT/ICETOOL

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on DFSORT, ICETOOL , SyncSort & JCL Utilities

Moderators: Frank Yaeger, Moderator Group

Thinkcosta

Efficiency in using DFSORT/ICETOOL

Post by Thinkcosta » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a coulple of questions with regard to DFSORT/ICETOOL

1. I am manipulating with a VSAM file that has thousands of records(bound to grow into millions) and do some splice operations. Is it worth going for DFSORT/ICETOOL or should we go for COBOL or EZTRIEVE with regard to performance. How can we justify going for DFSORT(since it can do the required operations in quite easily)

2. DFSORT and ICETOOL are one and the same. How can we justify. Then, why there always arises a question.

Cheers
Costa

nachi

Post by nachi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:15 pm

Costa,

In my personal opinion and experience, I say that both COBOL or EZTRIEVE program when compared with DFSORT/ICETOOL got more or less the same performance. Advantage in going with DFSORT is its ease of developement (as you already mentioned) and maintenance (no compile required for any requirement change).

I am saying this with my experience and have no concrete evidence. The best way to go about is to try both ways and compare.

Thanks,
Nachi

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others