Automating job 1 after another

In this Mainframe Forum - You can post your queries on JCL, OS/390 JCL, MVS JCL, z/OS JCL, JES2 & JES3

Moderators: Frank Yaeger, DikDude, Moderator Group

dr350

Automating job 1 after another

Post by dr350 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:49 am

Hi everyone,

I am fresh out of college and have landed a job in the mainframe world as a systems programmer. So far, there is a lot to learn!

Right now I am trying to automate a job that includes 4 instances. These 4 jobs need to run one after another, on a weekly basis. What it should do it XMIT a DS from 3 of the different groups to 1 central group.

There is one PRG to XMIT group 1 , group 2, and group 3. We currently comment out 2 of the 3, XMIT, wait for finish and proceed onto the next group.

We have talked about making a slip trap recognize a unique message in each group pertaining to the groups, and have that start the next job.

What is everyone take on making this automated? Slip traps?

Excuse my lack of knowledge, please ask for more information if needed.

Thank!

William Collins

Post by William Collins » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:35 am

OK, experienced as you may be with asking on fora, we do it differently on mainframes. Wait at least a reasonable period before posting in another forum, and then only if you are not getting answers.

FREE TUTORIALS

Tutorials
Free tutorials from mainframegurukul
  • JCL Tutorial
    Covers all important JCL concepts.
  • Cobol Tutorial
    This tutorials covers all Cobol Topics from STRING to COMP-3.
  • DB2 Tutorial
    DB2 Tutorial focuses on DB2 COBOL Programming.
  • SORT Tutorial
    This Tutorial covers all important aspects of DFSORT with examples
  • CICS Tutorial
    This CICS tutorial covers CICS concepts and CICS Basics, CICS COBOL Programming.
Interview
Mainframe Interview questions

Other References
Mainframe Tools and others